Hello Electrified Miata fans! This will be a quick update as this weekend is Teresa and mine wedding anniversary - I won't be working. So here's the update. The biggest news is we met as a team this week. Zoom was an easy choice for this meeting and we shared status and ideas on how to proceed with various aspects of the project. We talked about the BMS boards, touch screen design, getting the Leaf motor coupler made and plans for an Automobile rotisserie! I was so surprised when the 30 minute warning that Zoom gives for free meetings appeared on my screen. Once again, the team blew me away with their knowledge and experience. I felt more connected and a real sense of joy working with them. Seeing everyone made my night!
1. Ordered 1163 additional batteries. Why 1163 you ask? I ordered 1200 but 1163 is what they had. This will complete the build for the prototype. The batteries arrived on Thursday.
The guys at 18650 battery store were great and took care of us.
2. Bought the copper for bus bars to connect the batteries.
The metal yard was super busy and had about a 1 month backup on cutting, so I ended up with 2 12' pieces. The sales guy I talked with said people were buying metal like toilet paper. If you lived through Covid, that is an interesting statement indeed.
3. Bought the plastic for battery coverings.
Apparently, acrylic is in short supply due to everyone making some type of shield. I bought high density polyethylene, similar to a cutting board plastic. I have two 4' x 8' x 1/4" sheets in the garage. Teresa says we now are a warehouse with all the batteries and associated hardware
4. Will pickup up 6 BMS boards from Joe next week
5. Both Doug's friends that have a EDM machine and Ed who has a small CNC machine are advising/experimenting on how to figure out the tolerance issues so we can get some couplers made.
6. Found detailed plans for an auto rotisserie (link) and shared that with the group
Clean up has been started, but it's taking longer than I thought, mostly due to
me buying/investigating all the hardware.
Next week, I'll continue on with the software clean up and start measuring the new batteries for voltage consistency. I'm waiting on battery holders before I can begin assembling the first of six packs that will be used to run the Miata. Thanks for reading and wishing you all health in abundance!